Question:
What was typically eaten for breakfast,lunch and dinner before the 1950's?
twisttop43
2006-04-27 20:35:59 UTC
i need this information for an assignment
23 answers:
happy1here♥
2006-04-27 20:39:33 UTC
Breakfast:eggs,bacon and homemage biscuits

Lunch:bacon and tomatoe sandwiches,grilled cheese,&soups

Dinner:pot roast,potatoes,carrotts,beans,wild animal meat
Hello Dolly
2006-04-27 20:51:25 UTC
My parents were married in 1956. Aside from being college students and dirt poor, they ate very modestly. We lived in the Upper Midwest. This sample menu would have been when they moved to an apartment where they actually had a stove. They started out married life with a hot-pot, an electric frying pan and a coffee maker. They cooked on the floor.

For breakfast, they would have toast with butter, a doughnut and some black coffee, maybe a piece of fruit, like a banana. Sometimes oatmeal with raisins. The doughnut was dipped in the black coffee for taste--um, yum?

For lunch, my mom would make a fried egg sandwich, soup, or a piece of fruit. She was pretty skinny back then. My dad would have brought a bag lunch to his office job consisting of a sandwich (whatever was on sale, like bologna, liverwurst/braunschweiger) on buttered bread, a piece of fruit and a canister of juice or coffee. Sometimes he would be expected to take business lunches and would have had something like liver and onions for dinner. He STILL orders liver and onions when he has the chance. My mom won't touch that now!

For supper, they might have had a small roast, pork chops, or baked chicken, potatoes or rice, and a small salad or a side vegetable. They'd also been "introduced" to pizza and might have had that once or twice a month, along with spaghetti. My paternal grandma used to send my mom recipes to try, things my dad would enjoy.

As the kids came along (there were 6 of us altogether), our meals didn't change much. In the early 1970s, my mom was still preparing breakfast and lunch much as she did in the '50s. Dinners became a little more elaborate as she experimented with gourmet cooking and Julia Child's TV program. She always served a variety of foods. I know some families from the '50s and '60s that did not vary from their weekly fare (cold ham sandwiches on Sunday, pork chops on Monday, liver on Tuesday...) Can you say BORING?

We always ate dinner together at the family table, and we always prayed before eating.

Sure hope this helps.
2006-04-27 20:40:59 UTC
I take it, that you ask about the Western World [Europe, UK, and USA] : Then, bread was the staple food item - typically eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner before the 1950's !
2006-04-27 20:40:07 UTC
During WWII, anything! Food was scarce and rationed. People would mix peanut butter with Crisco to make the peanut butter last longer. Their diets were much heavier with meat and fat then. However, the reason we're so fat today is that we don't have anywhere near the exercise that people did back then. Farm work was very laborious and required a lot of calories. Children had no video games and so they played a lot of physical games and ran. People also ate less fresh foods because our highway system was not nearly as good as today, so back then, fresh fruit would spoil before it reached its destination.
2006-04-27 20:42:08 UTC
Breakfast was usually as it is today. Bacon or sausage, Breakfast - sometimes ham, eggs, hash browns, toast or biscuits.

or Pancakes with maple syrup.

or Oatmeal.

or Corn flakes in milk.

Lunch - usually a bologna or tuna sandwich or soup and crackers.

Supper/Dinner - Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, vegies like peas,corn, green beans.

Pinto Beans and cornbread.

Fish and hushpuppies

pork and beans with sliced weiners.

Steak and potatoes

Roast Beef and veggies

Beef stew.

Spaghetti

many other things
2014-10-28 15:16:11 UTC
Check this natural method to get rid of acid reflux http://acidreflux-cure.info

Usually, heartburnThe most common symptom of acid reflux disease (also known as gastroespohageal reflux disease, or GERD). Heartburn feels like a burning pain in the center of the chest. It is caused by acid from the stomach backing up into the esophagus. is a symptom of acid reflux disease (GERD) Also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). Describes the condition of backflow of stomach acid into the esophagus which frequently happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes more often than it should and/or at inappropriate times. The symptoms of acid reflux disease typically occur on 2 or more days a week.. And if you suffer from persistent heartburn on two or more days a week—and you’ve treated it and changed your diet—it could be due to acid refluxBackflow of stomach acid into the esophagus. Acid reflux frequently happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes more often than it should and/or at inappropriate times. This allows harsh stomach juices to back up into the esophagus. disease. But only your doctor can tell you if these are signs of acid reflux disease.
wyderp
2006-04-27 20:42:25 UTC
ah, good question. most people cooked food at home -- meat, potatoes, rice, corn. all the stuff you probably see only at thanksgiving. but then the argriculture business started receiving huge subsidies for things such as corn and we got innundated by popcorn and high fructose corn syrup (this crap is in EVERYTHING!) and also fast food came around. thanks, mcdonalds! at any rate, now we're all fat and have GERD. here comes pharmaceutical comp'nies to the rescue!
mainsqueeze56
2006-04-27 20:43:35 UTC
they ate what ever they had and that wasn't much. My father always talked about bread and molasses and lard instead of butter because they couldn't afford butter.
cosmosclara
2006-04-27 20:49:00 UTC
Gee, I can only respond based on what I know of my grandmother. She raised her own chicken, beef, and pork. She grew a beautiful garden (beans, potatoes, corn... everything). Had cows for milk and a well for water.

... had chickens for eggs too. Made her own bread and biscuits... Made her own sausage...
outofsight
2006-04-27 20:39:35 UTC
It was the same food that you have today... but may be the cuisine more suited to that generation. But will definitely be bread, cheese, wine, meat, fish, salad, etc.
bansri47
2006-04-27 20:38:13 UTC
Lots of taters, lots of bread, and lots of nasty oatmeal stuff. Oh, and meat if people could buy it. I call it the Hooverville depression method of eating.
florence
2006-04-29 02:13:49 UTC
Depends where you lived!. Italians-pasta, Asians- rice, islanders-yams and so on, depending on what carbohydrate was most plentiful for them.
davemo
2006-04-27 20:38:08 UTC
porridge

Leftovers from dinner the night before

meat and potatoes, and poop
sal the dog
2006-04-27 20:36:49 UTC
Dirt, with a side of potatoes (which tasted like dirt)
sks26
2006-04-27 20:39:25 UTC
probably depended on what part of the country they lived in, whatever could be raised or grown
David
2006-04-27 20:37:36 UTC
they didn't have food in them days
kanjapisimari
2006-04-27 20:38:29 UTC
dump girl
2006-04-27 20:44:28 UTC
i don't know...maybe bread...half-cook meat
Ann Toozie
2006-04-27 20:38:10 UTC
For me, it was baby food.
piscetaurus